Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year

Well its been an Fabulous and Eventful xmas, family over for festivities and merryment first, then secondly moving house to St Barnabe - a bit further into Marsielle.

All positive vibes for the new year.
Still many French things I will never understand though......

Why did they take all the turkeys off the shelves for the weeks coming up to xmas? Why is Pintade cheaper and more popular as a xmas meal?

A conversation I had 20 December:

"Bonjour madame, pardonnez moi je suis anglaise mais pourquoi toute la monde va chercher pour les pintade - on est au tradition pour manger dinde" I say in my 6 yrs still rubbish french..
"Ah parce que cette oiseau c'est beaucoup moullier pour goutier"
(OK I say, thinking its moister to eat - and yes turkey is a bit dry im listening)
"Quelle oiseau?" I ask
And plenty of impressions and giggling from ourselves later, I am none the wiser until I reach home for the dictionary and find it is in fact a Guinea Fowl ! aha

Two days later all the turkeys appear on the shelves at the normal(ish) prices - though some of them are indeed huge and all the families I talk to seem to be having 20 people to dinner so no wonder really. So I find a comparitavely tiny turkey at 3.5kg and make haste!

Parsnips arrived by la Poste curtessy of my Mum and Dad, Mince pies and Christmas Cake (thank you E!) by British Airways from Sister in law - Dinner was very English, and Boxing day lamb with safeways mint sauce and christmas pudding came over too.

So that was Christmas, and as this year my glass is half full I will not rant on about anything else tonight xxx

No comments: